Valerie Elliott, CGD, FGDC, CERT PR leads iD2’s vision to work for clients who are helping to change the way the world defines success. A skilled engagement practitioner and award-winning designer, Valerie combines over 20 years of industry experience into all iD2 projects to assist clients in developing sustainable strategies that meet their objectives. In her spare time, Valerie rescues native plants on development sites in Canada’s most endangered ecosystem, the Garry Oak grassland.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
I have more than two decades managing people and projects while building comprehensive communication strategies and budgets, and engaging audiences.
I am a problem solver and an effective communicator with a variety of publics and am especially adept at orchestrating the needed components for required results. My working style is inclusive, compassionate and consultative. Positive determination supports my goal to break down barriers and build relationships.
My years of experience in public relations and stakeholder engagement delivers work of the highest standards. I specialize in collaborative processes, am emphatic about reaching intended audiences and attaining objectives.
2003-2007 University of Victoria – Public Relations
1995 Humboldt University, Berlin – Communication
1982-1986 Four-year private apprenticeship with New York designer Fred Salmon – Design
Workshops: Opportunity in Conflict (The Roy Group); Leader’s Discipline (The Roy Group)
- International Association for Public Participation (IAP2)
Individual Member, 2015
- Ethic Practitioners Association of Canada (EPAC)
Professional Member, 2007 – 2015
- Graphic Designers of Canada (GDC)
Fellowship, awarded 2015
National Sustainability Chair, 2007 to present
President, Vancouver Island Chapter 2010/13
Professional Member, 1999 to 2015
- Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS)
2007 – 2013
- International Council of Design (ico-D)
Sustainable Standards Expert Juror, 2012 to 2015
- BC’s Climate Action Secretariat, Citizen’s Conservation Council on Climate Action (CCCA), Vancouver Island region,
2008 to 2009 term
- Five achievement awards from professional organizations, as well as creating the first definition for sustainable communication design worldwide.
- Writer of the Graphic Designers of Canada’s sustainable communication policy, to which all certified designers must adhere.
- Writer for (BC) Queen’s Printer’s guide on sustainable communications.
- public engagement strategy, facilitation and evaluation
- communication planning and implementation
- PR, social media, technical, policy, media and copy writing
- issues and crisis management
- media relations and management
- event planning and execution
- project management
- contractor and team management
- cognitive, quantitative and qualitative research
Speaking regularly to professionals and organizations on branding, ethics, sustainability, and cultural values. Since 2007, I’ve facilitated workshops on brand differentiation spoken across Canada on climate change solutions and helping to recognize the bottom line value of effective, ethical policies and practices.